Wednesday 17 April 2013

The Two Gentlemen of Verona (Shakespeare) and the Suspension Bridge at night

Ello!
So, as you may or may not know, I am doing English literature as one of my A-levels, although I'm not doing my A-levels. Last week, my class went to see a Shakespeare play at the Tobacco Factory in Bristol and I went as well. We went to see Two Gentlemen of Verona, which doesn't have anything to do with our theme this year - struggle for identity - but we went anyway. I've never seen a Shakespeare play nor have I even read one (at my school back home we start Shakespeare in two years as our English isn't good enough yet). The people in my class mostly read Romeo and Juliet as preparation for their GCSEs. 
I didn't find it to be too demanding to be honest. Once you get the gist of thy and thou and all of that stuff, it's fine. I know they're all pronouns of the second person but I think then there are rules about when to use what if the person is the subject and when he/she is an object but that wasn't important anyway. The sentence structures are a bit .. strange as well. All in all it sounded a lot more like German than the now-English though. 
I found some photos of the play!! I didn't take any, wasn't allowed.
Oh yeah, and there was a dog in it as well. He/She brought all the humour:)

Because it was in town and Shakespeare apparently always takes ages I got a lift from my friend's dad (she was there as well!). He was really lovely and he's been to Switzerland to ski, in Einsiedeln. It's always amazing to find someone around here who knows anything about Switzerland, except that Swiss hospitals assist you with committing suicide..
Well, anyway. After the play he picked us up and he knew I had never been to the Suspension Bridge before, so he dropped off my friend Ellen and me at the bridge and we got to walk across it at about half 11 at night. It was awesome!!:D



The photos are crap but it was fun.
Her dad also showed me the Temple Meads Train Station, which is beautiful!! I'm going to London this weekend and I'm finally taking the train there, so I'll take some pictures of it then. He also told us that Tarmac was invented and produced in Bristol - we drove past the old factories. First it was only stones graded and laid as roads and later tar was put on top.
Yeah, I learnt loads that evening, from Shakespeare to tar. It was lovely.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment