Monday 22 April 2013

Finally: Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol

Hello. I went to the Suspension Bridge with another exchange student girl, from Germany, at last. But first of all, a pigeon shat on my head! Why would they put bus time tables on the posts of street lamps?! Great start of the day..

First we went to Wetherspoon's (hundreds of Wetherspoon's pubs all over the UK) in Kingswood and had traditional English breakfast:
toast, hash browns, some sort of ham thingies, a sausage, egg, baked beans and a slice of tomato
I rather enjoyed the tomato.

People were already ordering their second pint or lager at ten a.m. on a Saturday morning, which was  ... bizarre. But then alcohol in general is handled very differently around here compared to what I'm used to anyway.
After that, we took the bus into town and I introduced her to Shakeaway and then we went up to Clifton to the infamous bridge.
 The weather was rubbish but it makes the plants look great:)

There was this really small tower right next to the bridge, where tourists can pay to go up but we didn't really see the point. It looks nice though.



It was windy as hell and also started snowing while we were on the bridge. 

 On the other side of the bridge (not the city part)

It was a bit grey, I think I'll visit it again now that it's more lovely.

The bridge was opened in 1864 and links Clifton to North Somerset. It was designed by 
Isambard Kingdom Brunel, who, according to my friend Ellen's dad and wikipedia, also built the Great Western Railway, and with that also the Bristol Temple Meads Station, which is beautiful!! (Post on that is still to come).


I'm chuffed I finally made it there. Have a nice week xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment