Sunday 30 September 2012

random

Heey. Sorry, I've really been slacking..
Like I said, the weather's been killing me! I've been ill for about a week, so it's not been very interesting. I've been spending my evenings in front of the telly with some tea, watching One Direction on Alan Carr The Chatty Man and the X Factor.. at least I've become more British;). I really wanted to avoid watching the X Factor but now I actually really like it.. it's SO MUCH better than DSDS... I really enjoy watching it :D. There are a lot of very interesting British programmes. They're very different than the ones at home and sometimes a bit strange, but I like them a lot. There are lots of amazing comedians here as well. Oh, and they record Deal or No Deal in Bristol.. I'd love to go once.. they sometimes have celebrities on, like McFly :D.
Oh, by the way, the British butter I was telling you about earlier is called Clover.
I also tried Flakes, LOVE THEM :P well, you know.. it's chocolate-y :D. They're very crumbly..



Oh, and I also had my first proper fish and chips with vinegar:



and my second one:D


I think the bus drivers here are also quite chuffed that I finally got a bus pass. The first day after I got it, the bus driver cheered when I showed it to him :P I go on the same bus every morning, so we've seen each other quite often..
In my opinion the people here generally are all really nice although the Bristol accent is known to be impolite.. it's really lovely to be called 'sweetheart' or 'my love' all the time.. lifts my mood:). 

The teachers in school are very different than what I'm used to from Switzerland. They seem like they genuinely care about the future of their students... I know, cheesy. Every second Friday we have an assembly the whole morning and talk about university. How to afford it and how to stand out from the rest.. It's really motivating in a way.
I've already received a lot of grades.. from all the homework we had to hand in, tests and essays we have to write almost after every class. I mostly receive between 70-80%, which is A or B.. not too bad, I guess. I had two A* in Maths but also only 40% in a Psychology homework (the one I had, when I didn't know we had to hand it in and left most of it blank :P oh well). I really like the school and the different classes but I think in some of my classes the teachers focus too much on the marks. While we work on a topic in Psychology for example, they always tell us what we have to know for an A-C mark, and what information is enough for a D-E. That gets kind of annoying because they act like we're only there to get good marks, not to learn anything.. the topics would be very interesting and helpful for life otherwise. Different models of short-term and long-term memory and attachment theories..

I started walking my host family's dog this week. There's a place about ten minutes from my house: cock ridge :P don't know why it's called like that.. most people hear call it the cock..





Today I went to the cinema with a  friend from school at the Longwell Green Vue cinema... We went to see Ice Age 4 at half past ten in the morning.. she had to work in the afternoon (a lot of people from school have got a part time job). It's such an amazing cinema !! And there are lots of restaurants and fast food places and fitness centers and a lasertag (like in How I Met Your Mother :P Barney) I haven't been yet.. but I definitely will!

really strange machines... you can print out the tickets yourself... and they talk to you, which is nice;)

inside the cinema:D 
There was a Ben&Jerry's bar, two sweets shops and a gaming area!

I talked to a girl from school about Harry Potter for a while and we're absolutely going to London to the Harry Potter museum!!:D I'm really excited about that:)) I'm going to tell you more about it once I've been there, but I already know it's amazing and it closes in March of 2013, so go as soon as possible! We also want to do one of those tours through London and its outskirts, where they drive you to all of the filming locations :P. It's only about 45 mins from here to London, which is amazing:). I want to travel to Whales in the very near future too..

Have a nice Sunday:)
Alex xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment