Monday 13 May 2013

The National History Museum, London

HIYA. So, that's probably going to be the last London post for a while :(. In April, some girls from my college class came to London and I took the train into London, slept at theirs, and went back to Bristol on Sunday because I had school on Monday. Sadly, the holidays in the UK don't match the ones in Switzerland most of the time. 
This time, I went by train. I just wanted to try it once - it is more expensive than going by coach but it only takes 1h45 instead of 3h, plus it's so much fun! I payed about £30 for each of the journeys - Bristol to Paddington and back - (tube and bus pass for London included though), but I didn't take an open return, which would have been have the price. Now I know. 

Bristol Temple Meads Station is beautiful!! 

Paddington


I've developed a bit of an obsession with train stations here. Maybe it's because I never really use the train at home except for going into Zurich, which takes about 16 minutes but the stations here are all so much more beautiful and old, which also makes them more inconvenient.. but oh well.

First, we went to Camden town to visit the Camden markets, which started in 1973 :D. 
Lovely place!

I saw on time out offers that there were celebrations at Trafalgar Square for the Saint George's Day, so we went there. Massive amounts of people.
In the evening, we went out for tea and then went to the cinema:) Spring Breakers. I quite liked it but some others were a bit... shocked. Afterwards, we went back to their youth hostel , which was really comfortable. I was a bit worried at first as it was the weekend right after Margaret Thatcher's funeral. The service was at St. Paul's Cathedral and there was loads of coverage of 'celebrations' on the news the whole time. I know there was some rioting going on in Easton, Bristol as well, and there was loads in London. When I got there, it was all finished though.

On Sunday we went to the National History Museum. Finally! I've wanted to go for such a long time. I keep passing it when I get into the city by coach and when I was younger and came here with my family, I noticed it a couple of times. I was always a bit intimidated by the enormous queues but it actually doesn't take long at all to get in. And it's completely free!! The weather was lovely too:).


strange escalator


and a lovely building

Then, one of my friends and I were done earlier, so we went to the 'Sensational Butterflies' exhibition right outside the museum:). That part isn't free, it costs 4.50 but I reckon it's worth it. It was lovely!!

Then we had some ice cream and I had to catch the train home. 
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment