Monday 17 June 2013

Bristol & Bath in a weekend

Hello again. Sorry I haven't updated in so long, I finally had my last exam yesterday. 
Last bank holiday weekend, my friend from Bournemouth came to visit me. On Saturday, I showed her around Bristol and on Sunday we went to Bath. The weather was amazing!! 

I picked her up at the railway station and we went into the centre - to the port.

We walked up Park Street and went to the Cathedral.

Banksy on Park Street

Then we walked up Cabot Tower (I hate the stairs in there, make me feel ill).

To finish it off, we took the bus to Clifton Suspension Bridge. 
I've never been on the bridge when it wasn't raining, snowing or hailing (or night time) so we took some touristy photos.

The weather was incredible! I showed her most of the attractions in town, except maybe The Matthew and the SS Great Britain.

On Sunday, we went to Bath. Sadly, I don't know Bath as well (none of my British friends ever go to Bath as it is so much more expensive to get there) but I still know the most famous bits.. and we found some new ones as well.

When we got off the bus (amazing view on the way!) we went straight to the Abbey. It wasn't open for tourists at that point due to a church service...
 ... so we went on to Pulteney Bridge.
I've never actually crossed the bridge before so that day, we did. There's some boat trips from the other side but the River Avon flows in a weird U shape, which makes it hard to get around town. 

Then we walked across town to get to the Circus (not an actual circus... it's just a famous roundabout). Lara taught me how to use the panorama setting on my phone!!! So here you go:)
From the Circus we walked down Gay Street, which is also quite well-known.
I think that's the street Jane Austen once lived on...
It also hosts the Jane Austen Centre. That guy in the old-fashioned clothing was in a documentary about Bath on the telly a few weeks ago, which my host mum called me down for (It's called Perfect View, and a bloke goes to different cities all over the country to search for the perfect view in each city, while going to different attractions...). So he basically is famous and I've got a photo with him now!! I acted as though I took a picture with the statue next to him and he noticed and almost looked into the camera:) Still a horrible photo though.
He also said "Jolly sauce." when I passed him. Not sure what that's supposed to mean.. too posh for my brain.

Then I showed her the Royal Crescent and used my panorama thingy again:D. There was a couple getting their wedding pictures taken in front of it ... I really want to get married in Bath now!

After a short break, we walked along a road I've never been to and ended up in Royal Victoria Park, which is lovely:). 

 And then we went to the Botanical Gardens.

In the end, we were able to go into the Abbey - so we did.


I'm really chuffed with living in between Bristol and Bath. They're very different cities but both lovely. Sadly, I haven't been spending a lot of time in Bath as no one from school ever goes. The first time I went to Bath was in January/February this year, so I spent half of my exchange year without even going to Bath once, which really bugs me. I'd love to go to Jane Austen's house and do the tour of the Roman Baths but I don't know many exchange students and the English people I know don't really like doing touristy (educational) things. I'm sure I'll be back soon though:)

Have a good week xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment